Skip to main content

Week 6 Readings, or, Toury or not Toury?

We’ve encountered norms before in this course, and I found them a compelling and useful concept then. Anthony Pym, in the video “What is Translation Studies?,” referred to Toury, and claimed that the idea of norms solves the classic conflict between linguistic and literary approaches to Translation Studies. Pym described norms as guiding principles that allow for deviation and creativity.1 Now, having spent some time reading Toury, I see that norms are central to the descriptive branch of Translation Studies, and thus a fundamental part (the epitome, as Toury says) of the target-oriented approach.2 In particular, I took to Toury’s view that norms are inherently unstable, and change over time. This acknowledges that the translator has approximate boundaries, but also has the capacity to push those boundaries. Generally, Toury gives the translator much autonomy while still insisting that he or she is subject to a multitude of pressure and may face consequences for excessive deviation.

I really appreciate Toury’s views on the role of the translator. His ideas around the target-oriented approach, the fluidity of norms, and his overall preference for ‘acceptability’ within the Target Text culture (as opposed to ‘adequacy’ of fidelity to the Source Text culture) mean that, as a translator, I’m free to make a wider range of choices than if I were to stick dogmatically to the content and form of the Source Text. Most often, I believe, translators work from a learned language into their mother tongue (with exceptions, including myself). They therefore should have a better idea of how a translation will be understood and accepted by the Target Audience. So it seems appropriate that the translator should have the freedom to make choices about the ultimate character of the text. These choices, no doubt, are channeled through the various levels of norms that Toury enumerates. Still, his emphasis on the existence of matricial norms, for instance, suggests that the translator should have the freedom to rearrange, abridge and expand segments of a text in order to suit the needs and preferences of the Target Culture.

It could be argued, however, that Toury goes too far in his minimization of the role of the Source Text. Firstly, his position assumes the translator is the equal or even the superior of the original author. If I were to translate a writer of genius—say, a Proust or a Shakespeare—I would be uncomfortable making drastic choices that may undermine the artistry of the Source Text. I’m fully aware that I’m no Shakespeare. It is inevitable that some of Joyce’s multitude of meanings will be lost as I seek to slot Finnegan’s Wake into the norms of Haitian culture.

Additionally, the intentional distancing from the Source Text is a slippery slope. At its extreme we end up with the annihilation of the original author, and we’re left with products that can scarcely be called translations. Toury goes so far as to acknowledge this possibility in his concept of pseudotranslations. I must say I find the idea fascinating, and I understand why an author might wish to present her own writing as a translation of someone else’s work. I immediately thought of William Goldman’s The Princess Bride, which is presented as an abridgement (a pseudoabridgement?) of a much longer, meandering work by the fictional S. Morgenstern. This allowed Goldman the opportunity to annotate his own work to comedic effect. There’s no doubt that pseudotranslations and other false adaptations are an interesting branch of literature. Still, I’m not sure they have much to offer to Translation Studies. Even in the context of Toury’s own theories they seem out of place. Toury’s ultimate aim was to study couple-pairs in order to identify norms and create rules and predictions. You’d be hard pressed to find couple-pairs when working with pseudotranslations.

Matt Robertshaw
19 October, 2017


Notes:

1 Anthony Pym, “What is Translation Studies?,” YouTube video, 24:25, posted by “Anthony Pym,” 9 March 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZXhzP3mBsA.

2 Gideon Toury, “The Nature and Role of Norms in Translation,” in The Translation Studies Reader, 1st ed., ed. Lawrence Venuti (New York; London: Routledge, 2000), 198.

Sources:


Pym, Anthony. “What is Translation Studies?” YouTube video, 24:25. 9 March 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZXhzP3mBsA.


Toury, Gideon. “The Nature and Role of Norms in Translation.” In The Translation Studies Reader, 1st ed., edited by Lawrence Venuti, 198-211. New York; London: Routledge, 2000.

Comments

  1. Thanks Matt, it is clear that you have really spent time reading and thinking about DTS and your comments are all well-placed. A couple of comments from me: Toury does not really propagate "acceptability" as such, his interest lies in "describing" the situation as it is from the viewpoint of the target text. So although his theory is extremely target oriented, he does not say translators should always follow the norms of the target culture. Secondly, Toury does not undermine the source text, hence his emphasis on comparison, coupled pairs. And finally, I think if you think about it some more you will recognize the use of pseudotranslations in DTS some more. Because PTs do not have STs, all textual choices (vocabulary, syntax etc) are made by the pseudo-translators. Presumable, they will create texts that will respond to people's expectations from translations, so a PT will give you an idea about what people are used to seeing in translations. Also, the choice of the pseudo-source culture, author, genre etc will offer lots of clues about cultural hierarchies, notions of foreignness, what is more dominant and prestigious etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Senhaz. You're right I did find Toury quite interesting, but I got a bit sidetracked in my reflecting on his ideas. I think where I went wrong was, as you noted, in thinking about Toury from a translator's perspective and not from a Translation Studies perspective. When I thought about his emphasis on the target text I took it as permission to translate liberally and only think about the norms of the TT society. But clearly Toury was writing more about ways of studying translations, not of ways of translating per se. Thanks again for your feedback.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes and Bibliography

Notes: 1 Edmund Wilson, Red, Black, Blond and Olive: Studies in Four Civilizations: Zuni, Haiti, Soviet Russia, Israel (New York: Oxford University Press, 1956), 110. 2 Paul Berry, “Literacy and the Question of Creole,” in The Haitian Potential: Research and Resources of Haiti , Vera Rubin and Richard P. Schaedel, eds. (New York: Teachers College Press, 1975), 85; Central Intelligence Agency, “Haiti,” The World Factbook. Accessed 30 November 2017. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ha.html. 3 For a thorough analysis of the divided structure of Haitian society, see Michel-Rolph Trouillot, Haiti, State Against Nation: Origins and Legacy of Duvalierism , (New York: Monthly Review Press, 1990). 4 Matthew Robertshaw, “Pawòl Gen Zèl: Language Legitimation in Haiti’s Second  Century,” (master’s thesis, University of Guelph, 2016). 5 George Lang, “Translating from, to and within the Atlantic Creoles,” TTR 13 no. 2 (January 2000): 11. 6 Itamar Even-Zoha

Week 8 Readings, or History Repeats Itself (in Translation)

As a student of history with a strong interest in translation for its own sake, I found this weeks readings particularly eye-opening. Quite often when I read history—whether primary documents or the works of historians—I ask myself how these people from various linguistic communities are communicating. Despite Julio-César Santoyo’s attestation that there are “thousands of examples [… of] documents that tell of interpreters involved in embassies and legations (both secret and official), peace and trade treaties, settlements of frontiers, royal marriages,” the fact remains that the critical role of translators and interpreters is overwhelmingly absent from historical records and narratives. 1 This, no doubt, speaks to the ubiquity of translators and the notion that a good translator must remain invisible, but it also poses a problem for those who wish to study the history of translation. I would be keenly interested, for instance, to know more about the processes and power dynamics at

Introduction

Hello everyone. Bonswa tout moun, and bonsoir à tous et à toutes. My name is Matt Robertshaw and I'm a first year PhD student in history here at York. I am permitted to take a course outside of history and I'm passionate about language and communication and I'm interested translation for its own sake, so I thought I might benefit from this course. I've studied French since Kindergarten and, more recently, have been learning Haitian Creole, or Kreyòl. I wrote my MA thesis on language politics in twentieth-century Haiti. I've dabbled in translation. I took a few translation courses during my undergrad at Guelph. I published an English translation of a Haitian novel through a micro-press in Quebec, and more recently I co-translated The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe  into Haitian Creole, along with a Haitian friend. The name of my blog refers to a Haitian Creole proverb: "Wòch nan dlo pa konnen doulè wòch nan solèy." The rock in the water does